In 1817, the retired Emperor Kokaku ruled the cloistered government from the Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace. Tadazane Okubo, the lord of Odawara domain and local governor of Kyoto, collected oblong stones, measuring 10 to 13 cm across, from the beach of Yoshihama in Yugawara Town (at the time Yoshihama Village). These stones were wrapped in floss, placed in 2,000 straw rice bags, and carried by sea to Kyoto, where they were presented to the former emperor in exchange for 1.5 kg (issho) of rice per stone. Thus called “Isshoseki,” they were used for making a beach in the palace’s garden.
|Admission||Free of charge|
|Access||In front of Yugawara Station|