Isshoseki・・・In 1817 when the retired Emperor Kokaku ruled the cloistered government from the Kyoto Sento Imperial Palace, Tadazane Okubo, the Lord of Odawara Domain and local governor of Kyoto, collected oblong stones, 10cm to 13cm across, from the beach of Yoshihama, Yugawara Town (then Yoshihama Village). These stones were wrapped in floss, put in 2,000 straw rice bags and carried by sea to Kyoto where they were presented to the ex-emperor in exchange for 1.5kg (issho) of rice per stone. The stones were used for making a beach in the Palace’s garden. This is why the stones were named Isshoseki.
|Charges||Free of charge|
|Transportation||In front of Yugawara Station|